Microsoft has released the optional KB5018482 Preview cumulative update for Windows 10 20H2, Windows 10 21H1, and Windows 10 21H2.
This update includes nineteen bug fixes and enhancements, including a fix for graphics issues in Direct3D 9 games and a bug that caused OS upgrades to fail.
The KB5018482 cumulative update preview is part of Microsoft’s October 2022 monthly “C” update, allowing admins to test fixes coming in the November 2022 Patch Tuesday.
Unlike Patch Tuesday cumulative updates, the “C” preview updates are optional and do not include security updates. However, if you run a Windows Insider build, the preview update will be installed automatically.
Windows 10 users can also manually download and install the KB5018482 preview update from the Microsoft Update Catalog.
What’s new in Windows 10 KB5018482
The Windows 10 KB5018482 cumulative update preview includes nineteen improvements or fixes, with the seven highlighted ones listed below:
- It addresses an issue that causes an OS upgrade to stop responding, and then it fails.
- It addresses an issue that affects the font of three Chinese characters. When you format these characters as bold, the width size is wrong.
- It addresses an issue that affects Microsoft Direct3D 9 games. The graphics hardware stops working if the hardware does not have a native Direct3D 9 driver.
- It addresses graphical issues in games that use Microsoft D3D9 on some platforms.
- It addresses an issue that affects Microsoft Edge when it is in IE Mode. The titles of pop-up windows and tabs are wrong.
- It addresses an issue that affects the lasso tool in a graphics editing program.
- It stops the start of daylight saving time in Jordan at the end of October 2022. The Jordan time zone will permanently shift to the UTC + 3 time zone.
This update also properly synchronizes the Microsoft Vulnerable Driver Blocklist, which prevents drivers that have known vulnerabilities from being installed in Windows.
Before this update, Microsoft had not synchronized the blocklist to Windows 10 since 2019, effectively breacking this security feature.
After installing this update, Windows 10 20H2 will be updated to build 19042.2193, Windows 10 21H1 will be updated to build 19043.2193, and Windows 10 21H2 will be updated to build 19044.2193.
You can find a complete list of fixes in the KB5018482 support bulletin.